Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"S" stands for "School Sucks"

Hey guys it's Sam. It's taken me a lot of guts to post after C's history (because it is the sweetest thing ever) so bear with me. I'm gonna talk about my experience with school. Now keep in mind as I go on this mini-rant, I do not mean to sound like an ungrateful student, for I am merely a teenage girl that needs to vent her feelings to the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the education I've received the past 12 years of my life, but it's just that I tend to hate it about 60% of the time. I, as well as many other students, get piled with homework every night and it's extremely annoying when your so-called superiors that are also known as "teachers" believe that the amounts of homework they've assigned are reasonable. Yes, they are doable, but only if they're the only ones assigning homework. Unfortunately, they're not, and I have five other classes with high levels of rigor to worry about. I don't think 80% of teachers understand that a) we have other class, b) we have lives outside of school, and c) their classes can be more difficult than they think. Not only do we have teachers on our case, but our loving parents as well. Sometimes, parents don't understand how hard school is and how it differs from their generation. One time, I got an 82% on an AP Psych test and when I told my mom about it, she asked me why I didn't get an A. Well maybe because it's a class aimed for college students and I've never taken any course on psychology ever in my life? But what bothers me the most is that teachers and parents don't put themselves in our shoes and believe that they could ace any class/test/assignment. They obviously haven't seen Freaky Friday.

Another thing that bothers me about school is that some of the classes that we are required to take are completely useless. Don't give me the "you never know, you might need it in the future" lecture. I know for a fact that I don't need to know how to convert moles to grams, or how to graph a tangent graph, or what a tetrahedral molecule is. Yes there are classes that do come in handy, but there are classes in the curriculum that are necessary to take to fill the said curriculum and end up being totally useless. If there are students that know what they're going to do as a career in the future, why restrain them from taking courses that would actually be helpful for them? As of now, I feel like I'm only taking three (out of six) classes that will come to my aid in the future.

Again, I'm ever grateful for all the knowledge I've received over these many years and I'm happy that I have parents and teachers that care about how well I do (well, as teachers go, it's some more than others..don't lie, you know you believe it too). It's just that it's finals season and all this stress is making me emotionally combust slowly but surely, and so I need someone/something to vent to. For now, this will conclude my rant. This will be the first of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment