Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My inner globetrotter (Part 1)

Our lives are too short. At least, I think mine is. And I know what you're thinking, "Sam, what is up with you and talking about yourself? It's only been 24 hours since you last wrote a post about yourself and here you are again." Well guess what, I don't give a flying fart. Anyways, I think my life is way too short and I have sooo many unreal expectations for myself and what I wanna do. One general topic that covers most of those expectations involves travel. No, I'm not just talking about visiting the Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower and other cheesy tourist points (although I wouldn't mind the occasional cliche tourist photo), I'm talking about hang-gliding in Rio de Janeiro, petting a (tame) water buffalo in China, and experiencing Mardi Gras in New Orleans. My inner globetrotter has taken over and she doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon. Here are some things I want to do if I ever get to see this much of the world:

Africa:

-Stay on the Rest Farm. It's a traveler's destination that covers acres of valley, and is currently owned by Paula and E. The farm is open for visitors who are willing to work and in turn are given food, shelter, and people who make good conversation. I'd really like to spend some time here because it would not only give me some labor to do while vacationing, but also allow me to appreciate the simplicity of life. I've been raised in a suburban area for most of my life, and it doesn't get as simple and peaceful as farm life in the middle of Karoo, Africa.

-Explore the Okavango Delta. I read about this in a traveler's blog post about their adventures in the African wilderness and it seemed really cool and potentially dangerous, but let's be real..what else would you expect from an African adventure? They would cross the waters via mokoro, which, according to the blogger, is essentially an African gondola. It would be interesting, to say the least, to be able to learn about the surrounding land  and animals from the viewpoint of the local natives. One thing that I've been aware of is how much African villagers really appreciate their home and how sacred it is to them, and I think that's really admirable.

-Go on an African safari. Yes, I know it's super cliche, but c'mon...NO ZOO can compare to the African savanna. You get up close and personal with a plethora of wild animals and the landscape is beautiful. This would give me an increased gratitude for nature. Call me a hippie, but it's true. I'm also aware of the dangers of embarking such an adventure but like I said earlier..it's AFRICA. Of course I wouldn't be expecting rainbows and unicorns, I'm fully conscious of the wild lions, scorpions, and black mambas that would surround me if I'm not being safe. Which is why I wouldn't be going by myself, and I would be on a trustworthy tour. Hopefully.

-Build houses. When it comes down to it, I have a lot to be thankful for. Like, a lot. I don't have to worry about snakes or scorpions sneaking in my room and potentially killing me. I also don't have to worry about drinking water that's unsanitary. It's unbelievable comparing my living conditions to those in Africa. I know you all probably get tired of hearing this, but it's imperative that those who have the resources should help out in any way they can. And if I get to assist in building a community and a safe place, then count me in.

-Trek the Golden Gate Highlands National Park. If you know me personally, you know how lazy I am. But for some reason, there are tiny voices in my head that encourage me to take on hikes. With the scenery that's offered in the Golden Gate Highlands National Park in South Africa, I would say yes in a heartbeat. It's supposedly a 4-5 hour hike with easy to moderate difficulty. It's an area that really shows that Africa is definitely not some desert wasteland that might be the image one would imagine when they initially hear the word "Africa". It's absolutely gorgeous. I would include pictures, but I'm not that tech savvy (it's probably really simple, but I'm too lazy).

-Cruise up the Nile River. Besides the sight-seeing, it would be super fascinating to explore one of the most notable rivers in history. Travelling along the Nile would allow me to see the breath-taking monuments and tombs that were created during Ancient Egyptian times. It would also allow me to bask in awe of the city of Luxor. Given it's historical and cultural significance, the original Luxor is beyond comparison to the Vegas version.


No comments:

Post a Comment