Sunday, September 4, 2016

My inner globetrotter (Part 4)

Yeah it's been a while. I'm sad to see this little series go. Hopefully I'll update them/actually cross them off.

Europe


-Take the Warner Bros. Harry Potter Studio Tour. This may or may not be geared towards me and other Harry Potter fans. It would be a dream come true.


-Visit the Roman Baths. I wonder how the water would look if I dropped a Lush bath bomb in it...but in all seriousness, this site is filled with history and architecture, and it absolutely amazes me to see what the Romans established. I've always been interested in ancient Roman architecture because everything was so grand and complex but it was simple in terms of material, and the fact that structures like the Baths are still beautiful and resilient goes to show how pivotal the architecture was in ancient Rome.

-Draw in Jardin de Claude Monet. Please don't take me as some pretentious French-speaking wannabe. I tried to learn on Duolingo but it didn't work out. Anyway, I have a long list on my notes of gardens around the world, some of which include the Kew Garden, Orto Botanico di Padova, and Keukenhof Tulip Garden. But the one that stuck out the most was Monet's Garden in Giverny. Known as a "painter's garden", this collection of plants leaves it's visitors awestruck with it's beauty. During Monet's time this was not open to the public, but as time passed it grew to be open to appreciators of Impressionism, lovers of botany, and many more. Once you're engulfed in the charm of the colors and fragrances, one can't help but be inspired by the living artwork around them. Apparently, it's allowed to sit along a path and draw to your heart's content, but don't bring paint materials because access is denied to those who have that.


-Admire Gaudi's architecture. Antoni Gaudi's structures are all around Barcelona and his neo-Gothic style is not something one would miss. His most notable work is the Sagrada Familia (yes, the one from The Cheetah Girls 2). Again, architecture is something that intrigues me because of all the thought that goes into structures that are larger than life, but still has intense stylistic influences. Looking at Gaudi's different works such as Casa Batllo, Park Guell (also seen in The Cheetah Girls 2), and Casa Mila leaves me amazed with the creative minds of such architectural geniuses. Besides looking at the gorgeous structures, it makes you think of all the history behind each piece and makes you wonder about Gaudi's muse(s) of his works.

-Island hop in Greece. What can I say, I'm a sucker for beaches. Obviously I would visit the tourist staples such as Santorini and Mykonos, with their infamous white houses with colorful rooftops and doorways. But the attractions that don't get as much attention, such as Red Beach, Akrotiri, and Delos are places that I feel would be a good Instagram post as well. Red Beach has red rock all around it due to the volcanic cliff, and on the south side of the beach, there's black sand (!!!) and Akrotiri and Delos are some withstanding ruins that leaves it's tourists in awe of the sturdy Greek architecture. Other than Santorini and Mykonos the lesser known islands, such as Paros and Corfu, are on my destination list as well. Paros isn't as busy as the main touristy islands, but is still filled with natural beauty, which makes it ideal for relaxing and Corfu is absolutely gorgeous filled with museums and an abundance of green scenery. Hopefully during my visit here I'll stumble upon a big fat Greek wedding.






No comments:

Post a Comment